Wednesday, March 14, 2018

I modded my Lego Armored Assault Tank 8018 with non-Lego bricks!


Hi there and welcome back to Bricks and Figs!  In case you are wondering, no, this is not a bootleg of the Lego Armored Assault Tank 8018 set.  It's the real deal, except I made some subtle changes and did it using some extra non Lego bricks.

This is  what the original 8018 Lego set looks like, here is a pic of the Star Wars assault tank  I found on the Internet.


And here's my version.  This tank lives in a parallel universe where  Star Wars doesn't exist.  Instead the tank is used by some members of bootleg Hazmat team.   Hey look, it's hovering!

A couple of days ago, I decided to resurrect the Assault Tank and had just about finished rebuilding the original version, when I tried moving it on my carpet floor.  Totally un-satisfying.   I thought to myself, how cool would it be to make the tank look like it was hovering off the ground.


As you can see, I kept about 90% of the original set design.  To make the tank look like it was hovering, I put some small wheels underneath, then proceeded to add an extra layer of skirting to hide the wheels.

In addition to the skirting, I replaced the round shield with a windscreen.  Other changes include changes to the secondary guns and the cladding on the primary gun.


Here's how you board the assault tank from the rear.  The door is in the open position in the above pic.

And here's the door in closed position.  The slope bricks flanking the entrance aren't Lego.


For easier access, you can access the inside by lifting the roof.

Here's a closeup shot of the front.


Side view with the primary gun in raised position.

The turret above rotates.  I'm planning on making the turret a bit wider and deeper so that a minifig can fit inside.

I've flipped the tank over so that you can see the underside.  More non Lego bricks here.  Actually I used some of the Pogo minifigure baseplates here.

These are the three wheels that I've added.

Hope you like my modded version of the Lego 8018 Armored Assault Tank.  See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment