Sunday, September 13, 2020

I made a Taco Shop Modular Building using not Lego bricks

Happy September brick fans!  Welcome back to another episode of Bricks and Figs, my blog about minifigures and MOCs.  If you want to see my latest not Lego set builds, please check out my other blog Its-Not-Lego.  Today, I'd like to share with you this Taco shop that I made using not Lego bricks.

The inspiration to make a taco shop came from some of the minifigures in my collection.  


I have a few minifigures dressed up like peppers, some mexican attired minifigures and even some masked wrestler minifigures which  I wanted to showcase in a common venue.

And the taco shop was born.  It's a two storey modular building that occupies a 16x32 baseplate.  It's got the obligatory sidewalk and street light that is standard with most modular builds.  The roof has a surprise feature!  Later, we will look at each floor and the rooftop in greater detail.

The Exterior (Front)



I'm quite pleased with the way my Taco sign turned out even though it's not as nice as the other Lego style ones I've seen on the internet and Youtube. 


The front of the taco shop is clad in masonry bricks, green on the lower floor and brown on the upper.  I buy my masonry bricks in 100 piece lots on Aliexpress.

Main floor Interior


With the top floors removed, we can take a look at the main floor interior.  I used red and green as the contrasting colour in the floors and walls and the yellow as an accent colour.  Got a staircase that leads to the second floor.  Added some details like the clock and broom.

Here's a different view of the first floor layout.  There's the seating area with the menu on the wall.  The prep area behind the cash counter is where the tacos are assembled.  There are different compartments for the beef, cheese, avocado and tomatoes.  

I also added a drink dispenser with three kinds of soft drinks and cups above the machine.   Both the food prep station and the drinks dispenser were inspired by Bevin's Bricks taco bell custom modular building.

Here's another view of the downstairs before we head to the second floor. At the moment, we have one employee manning the cash register at the taco store and one customer downstairs.

Second Floor Interior


The second floor is actually a lot smaller than the first floor but gets a lot of light because of the big bay window in the back.  As you come up the stairs, there is a small landing with white and yellow railings.  The floor tile green and red colour scheme is continued here.  There are two more seating areas consisting of more yellow tables and chairs.  I added some minifigures to the second floor.

Here's another view of the second floor layout.

The Exterior (Rear)


If there's one colour of alternate brand bricks I prefer not to use, it's red. There are so many colour variations across the different brick brands.  Sluban brand red bricks are the worst because it's a much darker shade of red than the other knockoff brands.  My building has a mishmash of red bricks.  

Block Tech makes the bay window, but the window glass doesn't stay in.  I might have to glue it down to make it stay.  I placed an awning right across the back to cover the bay window.  I'll probably add some garbage cans and bins to the back.


Just another view.

Rooftop


In order to showcase my masked wrestler minifigures, I put a red floor on the rooftop. It kind of looks like a wrestling ring.  It's actually a fenced off terrace.


I hung up some heads to celebrate Dia de Muertos, Mexico's November holiday.



I added a few other minifigures, maybe it's like tag team or doubles wrestling.

Last Looks



Here's a few more views of the completed Taco shop.  I paired it with my other brown modular next door, but that building is still a work in progress.




Thanks for checking out my Taco shop custom modular building!  Let me know what you think in the comment section below.  See you next time.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't tell that the bricks are diffrent in your pictures, great job! Do you have a youtube?

    ReplyDelete