Saturday, September 21, 2024

Major Modifications to the Sembo 107105 Wandering Earth Lunar Truck

 


Hey brick fans!  Just wanted to share my latest mods to the Sembo 107105 Wandering Earth Truck.  If you want to see my review of the truck in it's original form, go here: https://its-not-lego.blogspot.com/2024/09/lego-compatible-sembo-107105-wandering.html


The Background

In 2023, Sembo produced two vehicles for the Wandering Earth movie franchise.  They are the Lunar Truck 107105 and the Mobile base 107104.  They look so unique that I had to have one in my collection, but I only wanted one.   The mobile base truck has two circular hatches, one on each side that makes it look amazing.  So you would think that I'd naturally gravitate towards that vehicle.

But I have seen pictures of the two vehicles side by side and the mobile base truck is actually smaller than the lunar truck, once assembled.  The lunar truck has 1339 pieces whereas the mobile base only has 1182 pieces.   So I decided to get the lunar moon truck set 107105 and convert it into my own custom mobile base using inspiration from the 107104 set.   The circular airlocks on the side of the base truck are really eye-catching and I knew that I wanted to do a circular hatch on my truck as well.

The Modifications


So here is my heavily modified Lunar Truck that has been turned into a mobile base truck.  Other than a few cosmetic enhancements, the cab area of the truck is mostly unchanged.  Most of the changes involve the rear of the truck as you can see from the profile.   



Due to all of the added weight from the rear section, I created a secondary pillar for support.  Additionally I added extra bracing under each of the axles so that the wheels won't buckle.

There is room for cargo that can be mounted directly onto the chassis.






Here are some front and rear end enhancements I made.  I've moved the solar panel structure to the roof of the mobile base.  It used to sit between the two suspension supports.  The led light battery box has been incorporated into the rear pillar.

The rear box behind the cab is the new mobile base unit.  I added this grid roof to give it a more industrial look.  Cargo can be mounted on the roof.  I plan to create a lift arm that can hoist cargo from the ground up to the roof.  It will be a future enhancement.

I absolutely love the scale of this truck, it makes the minifigures look so small.


Here is the rear view.  I managed to incorporate the circular hatch by placing it on the rear of the mobile base.


The ladder can be folded down to access the hatch.




The rear hatch door can be removed to view the airlock.



With the rear panel removed, you can see the airlock which also houses storage for the space suits.  An interior door allows the cabin to remain pressurized at all times.



The entire roof of the mobile base can be removed to allow interior access.

Here's the mobile base layout after the airlock.  A small bathroom and a couple of cots make up the right side the of the mobile base.

On the opposite wall, we have various scientific devices and computers.

It's a tight squeeze into the lower bunk.

The roof can also be removed from the front cabin. I've made some minor changes to the roof to add some lights and grill.

The front cabin is quite spacious. I plan on putting a computer station in one of the areas that used to be seating.

Here's the view of the driver's station and controls.  I removed the steering ball that came with the set because it wouldn't stay on.

I removed the two sliding doors on the rear of the cabin that were on the original set, so it's more open now.

Top view with roof panels removed.

Here's some more views around the vehicle.




I tried not to apply stickers that would span multiple bricks, so some of them ended up in different places than the original placement.  I also used some printed pieces from other space themed building block sets.


This side has windows. I used dark yellow as accent stripes on both the forard cabin and the rear cabin.

This is my favourite view of the truck.

Right side, forward cabin.

Right side, rear cabin.  I originally had windows on both sides but removed them after I added the bathroom and sleeping area.

The OG Sembo set only has exteior LED lights, so I added my own light bricks to the interior.





One last look at the roof.

To supplement the Wandering Earth minifigures, I added some of my own to form a secondary team.




Where to get it:  You can get the Sembo Lunar Truck, the Mobile Base and other cool building block sets from Afobrick.com .

Use my code itsnotlego to get an extra 5% off your entire purchase.   


Let me know what you think of the mods in the comments below, Thanks for visiting, see you next time bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment