Monday, April 5, 2021

Carter Baldwin's Blade Runner 2049 Spinner (with mods)


 

Hey brick fans!  Welcome back to Bricks and Figs, my blog dedicated to showing you my latest custom (MOC) creations and minifigures.   Don't forget to visit my other blog It's Not Lego to see the latest alternative Lego sets that I've added to my growing brick collection.

I'm a huge fan of the Blade Runner movie franchise, so I was really happy to see someone make a model of Officer K's spinner from the Blade Runner 2049 movie.

The instructions to create this Lego replica belong to Carter Baldwin and can be found here: https://bricksonthedollar.wordpress.com/spinner.


As you can tell from the pictures, I used a mish-mash of different Lego compatible bricks in my collection.  Who knew there were so many variations of dark gray bricks?  

Anyways, I followed Carter Baldwin's instructions and this is pretty much how it looked after completion.  I found the rear end of the model to be very fragile and it would pretty much collapse when I tried to pick it up.  Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but I move my models around a lot for picture taking and whatnot, so I don't want pieces falling off whenever I handle it.

I went through a number of rebuild iterations, and finally the latest version of my alt Lego spinner can withstand a lot of handling. 



My changes on the rear of model deviate from Carter Baldwins and the movie version of the Blade Runner 2049 spinner.  I switched to a smaller rear wheel to give me the room I needed to make the upward slope.  The movie version of the spinner has the rear lights below the black vents.  I added the red marker lights on the rear quarter panel but the movie version doesn't have them.



Carter Baldwin's door mechanism works really well, so I retained that design element.  If I had to make more changes, it would be to sub out the 1x1 trans blue piece with trans black colour.  The leading L brick, I would change from trans black to dark gray.  For some reason this picture makes the front end quite stubby looking.
Wonder if I should try elongating it by a bit?


Here's the view from the front.


Here's the side view.  The smooth triangle piece toward the underside is a from a Megablocks set if I recall correctly.  Not sure if Lego makes this piece.


Here's the spinner next to the Sembo Wandering Earth Troop Carrier for scale comparison.   The Sembo dark gray bricks are super dark compared to the regular dark gray bricks.  The spinner looks like it's made from light gray bricks instead.


Releasing the drone.


Two spinners are better than one.


Just a couple more shots before we go.


What do you think of this spinner version?  Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for looking and see you in my next blog post, Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment